Actor Spotlight: Park Hyung Sik 박형식

 

Name: Park Hyung Sik 박형식
Born: November 16, 1991
Height: 183 cm (6'0")
Occupation: Actor, Singer
Top Ranking Drama on MyDramaList: Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

Park Hyung Sik is a South Korean born actor and singer. He first made his debut as part of the boy band ZE:A in 2010 and then as a solo artist in 2015. He began acting in minor roles in 2010 then gained recognition for his support role in the drama "The Heirs" in 2013. He has since then made many on-screen appearances in both supportive and starring roles including the award-winning drama "What Happens to My Family". He is best known for his roles in The Heirs, High Society, Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth, Strong Woman So Bong Soon, and Suits. He was recently discharged from military service (January 2021). He is currently scheduled to appear in leading roles in two future dramas: Happiness and The Golden Hairpin.

Awards Won:

Best Male Newcomer in a Variety Show in 2013 for "Real Men" at the 13 MBC Entertainment Awards; Best New Actor and Best Couple Award in 2014 for "What Happens to My Family" at the 28th KBS Drama Awards; Contemporary (Mont Blanc Homme) Award in 2015 at the 10th A-Awards; Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries and New Star Award in 2015 for "High Society" at the 23rd SBS Drama Awards; Popular Award, Actor in 2017 for "Strong Woman Do Bong Soon" at the 1st The Seoul Awards; Best Couple Award in 2018 for "Strong Woman Do Bong Soon" at the 13th Annual Soompi Awards; Netizen Award in 2018 for "Suits" at the 32nd KBS Drama Awards; Best New Actor in 2019 for "Juror 8" at the 39th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards; Popular Star Award in 2019 for "Juror 8" at the 40th Blue Dragon Film Awards.


For More biography and his drama list, visit his page here: Park Hung Sik

Follow him on social media:    Twitter   Instagram




Park Hyung Sik will the be the second actor that I highlight. He is probably my favorite actor at his time, for many reasons. I have also seen him in more roles than anyone else and feel I have a good idea of his acting range. In addition, I will be giving my thoughts on him vocally since he is also a popular singer.

Drama/Movies with Park Hyung Sik I have seen at the time of this writing:

Juror 8 - Kwon Nam Woo [Juror 8]
Hwarang: the Poet Warrior Youth - Sam Maek Jong / Kim Ji Dwi
Heirs - Jo Myung Soo

Actor Review


As I mentioned above, Park Hyung Sik is my favorite actor at this time. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that makes this actor so enjoyable to watch, but I thoroughly have enjoyed every role he has played. His acting has been very diverse with a wide range of characters having a wide range of emotions and physical expectations, and I feel he has delivered each with amazing accuracy. He becomes every role he takes on and because of such I have seen many comments of surprise when someone has finally recognized him as having played a different role. He is so different in each that it is hard to believe the same person played both. This actor has made me laugh hysterically and feel extreme heartache. I have enjoyed watching him fill each role and look forward to seeing him much more.



One of my favorite things about Park Hyung Sik is his ability to pull off comedy. Truly he was one of the saving factors in the drama Heirs for me. It was a drama that mostly had me frustrated and it was nice to have the character Jo Myung Soo break it up here and there with his fun antics and great expressions. He gave me some lighthearted breaks in the midst of the emotional rollercoaster of the drama.



The first drama I ever saw him in was Strong Woman Do Bong Soon where he played the role of the lead Ahn Min Hyuk. This role was great because right away I saw him in a role that gave him a comedic spotlight as well as a serious one and he did both perfectly. It also was an introduction to him in a romantic role, and again, the chemistry was spot on and earned him and Park Bo Young the Best Couple Award in 2018. This again, is another drama I felt he saved for me as truly the side storylines almost ruined this... if it wasn't for the main leads, I could not have finished it.



Another role that allowed some great dynamic of character was What Happens to My Family (I am currently on episode 44). This is a 53 (1-hour each) episode drama. Here you can see him be angry, yell, fist fight, cry, be shy, romantic, funny, jealous, etc.... it really takes him through all the emotions. All of which he very believably executes. This drama won him two awards: Best New Actor and Best Couple Award (along with co-star Nam Ji Hyun).



My favorite drama of his that I have seen so far is Hwarang: the Poet Warrior Youth. In this drama he had plenty of funny moments, but he had a lot of serious ones as well. In Hwarang he played the faceless king, 
Sam Maek Jong, under the guise of Kim Ji Dwi.  His character made me laugh, but also cry as he struggled against a broken government to gain strength, protect his people, and earn the throne that was rightfully his.



Park Hyung Sik has played a wide character range and I have felt him believable from one end to the other. Which is why I feel he is one of the best actors in Korean Dramas. What do you think? Do you agree?


Singer Review


Park Hyung Sik was a member of the boy band ZE:A but debuted as a single artist in 2015. He has since done multiple OST for dramas and has become a very recognizable voice in Korean music. Park Hyung Sik has a unique quality to his voice which, I think, helps him stand out. His voice is very gentle and warm sounding and I find him extremely enjoyable to listen to. I do think some songs bring out his vocal quality a little better than others. As is usually the case with a vocal artist. Overall, I truly enjoy him as both a singer and an actor. See what you think!

First, my favorite, which I believe is a single but gives credit to the drama Strong Woman Do Bong Soo.


And, now, here are the current OSTs in which he sings.

"Tomorrow Will Come" from Bonnie & Clyde The Musical.

"You're My Love" from High Society.

"I'll Be Here" from Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth.

"Because of You" from Strong Woman Do Bong Soon.

"Two Lights" from Two Lights: Relúmĭno.

There is plenty more music you can find on YouTube by this incredible artist. Putting them all on here would be way too much! Lol! However, I will leave just one more link of another favorite. A cover he did as a Christmas gift for an artist friend.



What are your thoughts on this amazing actor/singer? I would love to hear!

안녕! - 줄스

Comments

Post a Comment